Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thankful for Thanksgiving

Me with my adorable cousins
I am especially thankful for this year's Thanksgiving, spent with family in my parents' home in Chattanooga, TN. Aunts, uncles and cousins drove up from Atlanta and Jacksonville and our house was filled with youthful cheer - four little ones ages 3-10.

For the first time in many years, I was blessed with the time and energy to help my parents thoughtfully prepare for the holiday. We browsed our favorite magazines and websites for recipes (many from Martha Stewart, Fine Cooking, Smitten Kitchen, and of course Garden and Gun). We planned ahead with serving spoons and dishes, and determined appropriate glasses for pre-dinner cocktails. We prepared grocery lists and to-do lists, with the intention of accomplishing as much as possible before the arrival of family, so we could enjoy their company and not stress in the kitchen.

The time we spent together was lovely and I am so grateful for the rich experience of it all. 

Cleaning out the kitchen drawers
Figuring out serving dishes for Thanksgiving
Breakfast time with the kiddos
Trip to the Incline Railroad up Lookout Mountain
Pre-dinner Cocktails
Thanksgiving dinner 

1 comment:

  1. Your meal spread looks lovely! I'm so jealous it was warm enough there to sit outside for pre-dinner cocktails!

    ReplyDelete