Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sister Corita Kent

As an East coast girl through & through, I have to admit I have never seen the Pacific, never been to sunny California... Lucky for me, my parents gave me the best birthday gift ever - plane tickets to Los Angeles. One of my dearest friends moved out there in January and I'm flying in on Thurs, Feb 24th to celebrate her birthday. I'm so excited to see her and get away from the bitter NYC winter. I'm even more excited to explore California for the first time. One item on the agenda is to visit the Sister Corita Kent Art Center. That's right, the silkscreening nun.

I think I first learned of Sister Corita through Todd St. John back when I worked in his studio. He had one of her books, and the coolest print I've ever seen. I taped lots of her work to my walls when I lived in the teeniest apartment in the East Village. As I'm designing more and more of my own work, outside of the editorial world, I look to her even more for typogrpahy & composition inspiration. 









All images found on a good ole google image search


No comments:

Post a Comment